It’s my birthday today, so I have decided to tell you 54 things about me. That’s just a random number, you understand!
1. I am a born-again Christian, and I am going to Heaven when I die.
2. All the members of my family are saved, as well. We will all live together with the Father one day.
3. I am a nurse, but for the last 20 years, I have been a kindergarten music teacher.
4. I love, LOVE, L-O-V-E Chocolate. If God made anything better, He kept it for Himself.
5. I have an addiction to Diet Dr. Pepper. It is one fine drink. I would be such an unhappy person if it was ever taken away.
6. I love fashion. I try to keep up with the trends…not the fads. But classics are still the best. I love to wear linen, long skirts, boots, flip-flops, cute little sweaters, and anything denim!
7. I think one of the greatest of God’s creations is MUSIC. I almost always have music playing where ever I am. I like all kinds of music…except rap and heavy metal. I like to hear 1 artist as opposed to a band…with the exception of the Eagles, Chicago, and the Beatles. I love James Taylor, Carly Simon, Michael Buble, Sandy Patti, Chris Rice, Norah Jones, Nicole Mullen, Natalie Grant, to name just a few. I also like to listen to old Disco music…and 50’s and 60’s oldies.
8. I love, LOVE, L-O-V-E peanut butter. Anyway at all…but it’s best eaten right off the spoon.
9. If I could live anywhere else in the world…I would choose Maui. My favorite place on earth. If I ever run away from home…that’s where I’m going.
10. I think shoes are fabulous! As Cinderella said, “A pair of shoes CAN change your life!” I can always find a reason to buy another pair of shoes. I could never have too many. They can be so much fun and completely change an outfit! I like sneakers, flip-flops, sandals, flats, loafers, mules, wedges, kitten heels…but NO high heels. Well, I do have 2 pair of black…but I only wear them if someone dies.
11. Purses are right up there with shoes. I love purses! I think a complete wardrobe should have a purse in every color. And you can never have too many black or brown ones. I like big ones, little ones, shoulder bags, clutches, totes, and handbags. I don’t usually pay too much for them, but they must look well made. I have only bought 2 outrageously priced purses…well, one of them was a gift. I think it is a shame when you see an otherwise well-dressed woman and she has a tacky ole purse with her. People notice these things.
12. I love my dog. He’s a fox terrier and he’s 11 years old. I had never been a dog lover until we got him. Now I can not imagine my life without a dog. He is THE best listener, and he loves me…no matter what.
13. I love to collect. I don’t know what the urge in me is, but I like to have collections of the things that speak to my heart. I collect primitive sheep, heart shaped rocks and stones, little boxes, the letter “O”, tiny salt cellars and old garden statuary. Crazy assortment, huh?
14. I dabble in all kinds of art. At the moment, I am doing a lot of collage work. I have fun doing bead work, scrapbooks, distressing old furniture, arranging flowers.
15. I have a hard time throwing things away. I always think I may need it again for something. And I don’t want to be without the things that have meaning to me.
Which leads to a lot of clutter in my life. I have tried to do better, and conquer some of it, and occasionally I am able to part with some things. But, it is hard. No, I’m not one of those people you see on Oprah that can’t get into their houses, but I just want to keep my stuff. Last year, I got into one of those “clean-out” moods and took about 50 articles of clothing and about 20 purses to work and gave them all away. They want me to get “moody” more often.
16. I really enjoy reading. I love books. Just the thought that between those 2 covers is something I don’t know, but can find out about sets my heart aflutter.
You know, you can find out anything you want to know from a book. Anything. My Dad encouraged me to get a book and read about things that I didn’t know about. My parents would not be shocked at whatever I would read (not that I went too far out). I was taught to study about things and ways that were different and weigh them against what God’s Word says. I am open to different ways of thinking about things, and to the fact that I may not always be right. However, the Bible is my standard. If anything is opposed to what God says, I am, too.
17. I think trees are beautiful Watching a bare tree put out its new leaves is the essence of spring. How fortunate are the birds who make their nests in the branches. How cool it feels to sit under the shade of the big ole sweet gum tree in my backyard. And, when the leaves start to change color, I love to sit under my tree and read let the leaves fall down on my book and my head and into my lap. I love to see the leaves dancing across the yard as the wind sneaks up on them. Looking at a bare tree against a winter sky is such a study of complexity . Oh, the shapes the limbs and branches make. How different it looks when it is undressed. (Well, don’t we all?). And after the tree has gone through its seasons…it starts over to delight us all…once again. Thanks God!
18. I ABHOR the packaging on CD’s. It comes as close as anything to making me say something I shouldn’t!
19. My favorite T.V. shows are Lost, House, Monk, and What Not To Wear!
20. The only reality T.V. that I watch is American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, and Design Star (HGTV)
21. I play solitaire every night before I fall asleep…on my Palm Pilot.
22. I could live fine without air conditioning. Everywhere I go, it is too cold!
23. I love to travel…anytime…anywhere.
24. I very rarely take a bath…always a shower.
25. I am a very fast reader. I learned speed reading in college and still use it.
26. I have lived in the house I am in for 28 years. We raised our sons here. But, I am ready to move on.
27. I love to peruse greeting cards. I buy them way ahead of when I need them…and , of course, can’t find them at the proper time.
28. I started dating my husband when I was in the 10th grade. He was a big ‘ole Senior. Then I followed him to college.
29. I started taking piano lessons when I was 6 years old. I continued to study piano in college, and I taught private lessons at home for 22 years.
30. I have never learned to swim well. I can take care of myself…but could never save anyone else. I have a fear of water over my head.
31. I am very frightened of lightning. Especially when it is jagged and I know it is striking around me. And, I know I shouldn’t be…but …oh, well…
32. I have written several children’s musicals (preschool level). Both with my original songs, and with other published music. I hope to get these published in the future.
33. The favorite meal my mom cooks for me is liver and onions in gravy. She makes real mashed potatoes…with the lumps in…just like I like ’em. She makes a fruit salad and biscuits to go along with it. Friends, that is fine!
34. I watch Fox news every day. I really like Shepherd Smith. He is so funny. They are the only news program I feel like I can believe.
35. I rode a motorcycle to school when I was in high school. I was very popular with the guys! 🙂
36. My favorite outfit to wear is jeans, and a white shirt. Maybe a blazer and boots or flip flops or tennis shoes.
37. My eyesight is very poor. I have worn glasses since I was in the 5th grade, and I think I needed them before then. I have tried to wear contacts, but can never get a clear vision with them.
38. My husband and I own a Powersports Business. We sell motorcycles, watercraft and ATV’s. We also sell clothing for riding. All my boys started riding as soon as they were able…but never on road until they were legal…and NEVER…NEVER…NEVER without a helmet!
39. I have begun scrapbooking in the past 3 years. I wish I had started when my boys were small. It is hard to go back and try to catch up. Plus, the memory is just not what it used to be.
40. God blessed me with a wonderful sister, Joy. We are 2 years apart in age…I’m the oldest. We have a great friendship and she is always available when I or my boys need her. My boys adore their Aunt Joy. And, she, them. They go to her with things they need to talk about with someone other than a mother. I respect that, and never worry that I would not agree with her advice. She is quite an accomplished pianist and is the pianist for our church. She is a gift from God…and I taught her everything she knows. 🙂
41. I do not like frozen ice cream..I like for it to get mushy a little before I eat it.
42. I love to make things for people as gifts. It seems so much more personal, and I like to think of things they really would appreciate.
43. I like to hang the toilet paper with the end coming OVER the roll. It IS the correct way.
44. I do not like camping outside. We did it for a week when I was a girl and we have done it a couple of times since we were married. I do not like to sleep on the ground, I do not like to sleep on a mat. I do not like to sleep on the same plane with little creatures and critters.
45. I have been trying to document my family history for my children. My mom is from N.C. and my dad from Atlanta. I know that in years to come, they will not make the trips like we always have. And I have a desire for my grandchildren to know their roots. So, I am scrapbooking old pictures of homesteads, churches, people, etc.
46. One of my favorite quotes: “Be careful when you point your finger at someone else…notice that there are 3 pointing back at you.”
47. Another favorite quote: “Your character is revealed by how you act when you know that no one will ever see or know what you did.”
48. My favorite quote of my Pop’s: “You can never out give God.”
49. My husband is one of the fairest people I know. He is one of those people who can look at both sides of the situation clearly and rationally, and then carefully make a decision. He is very wise. He has gained much respect in our community for this and for the fact that he lives his Christianity every day. Our business is conducted on God’s principles, and nothing less is tolerated. I am very proud of him. But he is also the s-l-o-w-e-s-t man in the world. And, I have not been blessed with the gift of patience.
50.I like to have lots of little lamps burning in a room…I do not like overhead lights.
51. I have 2 nieces who I adore. Tara and Lori. They are such sweet girls, and I am so proud of all they have accomplished. I would do anything for them.
52. I love my Daughter in Law so much. She is a godsend to Adam and our family. I couldn’t have chosen any one else who would become so dear to me as she has. I call her my Daughter in Love.
53.I can not believe I started this project. I am just not that interesting a person. Thank goodness I’m not 80! If you read this to the end, I know you are truly a friend!
54. I want to LIVE til I die!
Leave a Comment